- Heat broth (packaged or homemade)
- Add extra salt as needed (make it slightly saltier initially, the egg will absorb some.)
- Scramble some eggs (1-2 per person)
- When broth is hot, stir in a circular motion and add eggs. (Slower speed will give you longer, thicker threads....faster will give you smaller, thinner threads.)
- Remove from heat and serve.
I have FOND memories of this soup. So simple and yummy and FAST. It was a special treat in our house, but I imagine the origins were more along the lines of "empty pantry" or "what to fix?" syndrome. It's practically free if the eggs come from your yard and the broth from the bones saved up from previous meals. You can, of course, spruce it up some. Add some gelatin and coconut oil or a little sugar and cream of tartar. Toss in some some leftover potato or rice, noodles or serve with a chunk of cornbread slathered with butter. Spice it up with a little Tabasco or basil or nutmeg or ?????
Pennywise Platter Thursday