This is it, the finished product...not too oily, not too sticky, not too wet, not too clumpy, not too salty, not too bland. You can read about some of the experiments here: No Corn Syrup Caramel/Toffee Popcorn
- 1/4 cup butter (1 stick)
- 2 TBS beef gelatin
- 2 TBS cane sugar
- 2 TBS brown or "whole" cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Dash of vanilla (optional)
- 1/8 tsp baking soda (added at very end)
- Get out 1 stick of butter and let soften
- Pop the corn
- Remove unpopped kernels and loose "shells"
- Set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix all dry ingredients (except baking soda) in a small sauce pan
- Mix dry ingredients with butter and heat low and slow until dissolved
- Increase heat to medium, stirring occasionally to keep it from sticking to the bottom
- Let it bubble up a bit...a few minutes or so.
- Turn off heat and stir in vanilla
- Add baking soda, stir and pour over popcorn
- Fold caramel gently into popcorn, coating as evenly as possible
- Serve as is with a fresh glass of milk or mold into balls before it cools.
Simple Lives Thursday
Your Recipe, My Kitchen
Melt in Your Mouth Monday
See Ya in the Gumbo
Made From Scratch Tuesday
Hearth and Soul Hop
Totally Tasty Tuesday
Gluten Free Wednesday
What's On Your Plate?
Food and Health Carnival