Waste or mistakes never happen in a farm kitchen.....only future animal or plant food.

October 13, 2011

Cranberry Coconut Stew with Beef

Cranberry Coconut Stew with Beef  (8+ servings)
(fits a 4 quart slow cooker)

2 lbs Homegrown, grass fed beef, cubed 
1 package OG frozen Cranberries 
1 can Pineapple with juice
1 can Golden Star Coconut milk (no stabilizers or fillers)
8-10 TBS Beef Gelatin
8-10 TBS Cane sugar with Cream of tartar
Salt to taste 
1-2 TBS Green Thai Curry paste (optional)
1 Onion, sliced (optional)

I had asked for some GOAT stew meat to be brought up from the freezer...I guess the lighting was poor or something.  I prefer to use organic cranberries because the non organic I can get locally have all had an unpleasant bitterness I don't care for.  The price isn't much different because I buy them AFTER season and hoard.

I layered the beef on the bottom of the slow cooker, with the cranberries filling in around the still frozen blocks.  I mixed the dry ingredients together first, then sprinkled over the top.  The canned items were added next, with the curry paste and onion being an after thought.  I like the balance of sweet and tart and found that the salt counter balanced the sour as well.

There's enough acid in the broth that the gelatin stays fairly liquid even in the fridge.  Leftovers pour out of the jar instead of having to be carved out.

Food and Health Carnival 
Alimentary Tuesdays Carnival

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! This looks so good. Grass fed beef is my favorite food and the use of coconut and cranberry I am sure makes a perfectly balanced flavor! This is great thank you for coming by our blog hop and sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great recipe using Golden Star Coconut Milk Jenny! We haven't yet had anyone share a recipe like this before :) - we can't wait to try it in our kitchens. Please share more recipes and like us at
    http://www.facebook.com/GoldenStarFoods.

    ReplyDelete