Waste or mistakes never happen in a farm kitchen.....only future animal or plant food.

September 27, 2011

Beware of marketing...some truths about coconut oil

 
This is what I keep in my cupboard...or it's equivalent.  Current pricing/shipping makes buying the 31.5 oz size from Walmart significantly cheaper than buying in bulk in my area.  This wasn't the case just a few years ago, and may not be in the future.  If you are needing to stock up, do the numbers....maybe your local Asian market is a better bet?

The benefit of coconut oil is its fatty acid profile, predominantly saturated fat.  It can not be contaminated by growth hormones, antibiotics, gmos, or excess pufas like tallow, lard or even butter can and the stability and protectiveness of the saturated fats far outweigh any processing it might undergo. The admonitions regarding cold press, etc just don't apply to coconut oil because saturated fat is naturally stable and doesn't go rancid.  I have stuff that is 6 plus years old that I am just now using that tastes as fresh as the day I bought it.  Hypothetically, the minuscule amount of polyunsaturated fat could be hydrogenated, but the benefits would STILL outweigh the minuses.  It's just that good.

Don't get me wrong, the virgin coconut oils or the "organic" oils are NOT bad.  I, personally, LOVE the smell and taste of virgin coconut oil and I do keep some around (purchased long before the current price spike) for certain, specific uses.  I just get upset when they are promoted as the ONLY product one should use to be healthy.  Paying $80 for a sport bottle's worth of  "extra virgin OG coconut oil" is just WRONG.  (Most pricing is NOT that extreme, but I did see an ad on line at that price...someone claiming their source was extra special.)

So when you read about the benefits of coconut oil (Alzheimer's, heart disease, cancer, weight loss, colon health, etc) have peace of mind knowing that they are attainable for both "Whole Foods" budgets AND "Walmart" budgets.

Real Food Wednesday 
Homemaking

4 comments:

  1. I think this is true for most everything -- and so important to keep in mind. Would it be great if everyone could buy the organic and/or local produce at the farmer's market? Yes, absolutely -- and I hope some day prices are such that folks can afford to. And they probably could be, if the government changed what they subsidized and if the Americans that could afford to buy organic, local food did. Demand (and prices) could begin to shift.

    But at any rate, with anything -- it's just important to eat healthy. If you can't afford the organic or local (more expensive) version, it doesn't have to be organic or nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One problem. Take a look at the label on that Lou Ana stuff Wal-Mart sells. Last time I checked it was last year, so it may have changed, but at that time, it was hydrogenated coconut oil. Hydrogenated = monkeyed with in such a way that it has trans fats and is BAD nutritionally. Unfortunately, nutritionally, you do need to buy the good stuff when it comes to coconut oil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking at the label right now...it's just coconut oil. It is NOT hydrogenated, and to my knowledge has never been hydrogenated. I think, perhaps, you are confusing it with commercial lard, which IS hydrogenated. You can't hydrogenate saturated fat, you can only hydrogenate unsaturated fat.

    On this container of coconut oil 1 gram is monounsaturated and 12 grams is saturated.No poly or trans fat listed. As long as the saturated fats are at least 50% more than the other fats, the saturated fat will protect you from damage.....even from hydrogenated fat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I have Lou Ana in my...bathroom for moisturizer but I'll be getting another bottle for the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete