Waste or mistakes never happen in a farm kitchen.....only future animal or plant food.

January 2, 2011

Pan Fried Goat Chops with Potatoes and Glazed Onions

Looks like a huge amount of food but the plate is only 6" across.
It has always puzzled me that there is a large portion of farmers and ranchers that don't actually eat what they grow...I guess they know what's in it, eh?

Pictured here is a 1" thick section of the loin of  "Whitey" or "Todd". Yeah, we name our food.

These boys were dam raised, forage fed dairy goats, a yearling buck and a 2 year old wether.  The oysters are still in the freezer, I admit, I am not sure what to do with them.

I like my meat seared in coconut oil on the outside and rare/raw on the inside.  Raw meat is easier to digest than cooked and the inside of a steak is sterile....so no worries on contamination.

Ingredients:
Goat chops (approx 1/4 lb/person ) 
Coconut oil
Onion
Potatoes
Gelatin (1 TBS/person)
Sugar/Cream of Tartar (approx 1 tsp/TBS vinegar)
Maple Syrup/Cream of Tartar (1 TBS/onion)
Apple Cider Vinegar (2 TBS/person)
Salt

Directions:
Any meat cooks better at room temperature.  These were frozen, so I soaked in warm water while I loaded the dishwasher and started on the onions.  The onions sautéed in coconut oil while I prepared the potatoes.  I added the diced potatoes, stirred to coat with oil and cooked covered for 7 minutes on medium low (egg temp).  Meanwhile, I preheated some oil for the meat in a separate pan.  After 7 minutes, I stirred the potatoes to unstick them from the bottom and covered again for another 7 minutes.

While the potatoes were finishing, I prepped the glaze and started on the first chop.  The chops cooked one at a time for about 1-2 minutes per side on medium heat.  In between flipping, I soaked the gelatin with the sugar mix in the maple syrup mix with the ACV and salt and stirred.  When the chops were done, I added the glaze to the potatoes and mixed in.  It doesn't take but a few seconds to melt the gelatin.

Quick and easy, what more could you want?

I saved my scraps from the meal (bones, onion skins etc.) in a baggy in the freezer for making broth later.

Hearth and Soul Hop 
Tuesday Twister 
Gluten Free Wednesdays 
Simple Lives Thursday 
Fight Back Friday

3 comments:

  1. We name our goats and hogs, too. I know some people think that's odd. But it's all a part of respect for food animals in our family.

    I really love it when you share your posts about home-grown food with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious. I've never tried goat. I would probably name them if I had any, but it seems like that would make them harder to eat. I guess you get used to it. Thanks for linking up again at Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny, I have eaten goat plenty of time and it is a tasty meat! I also like that you put your money where your mouth is and raise and eat what you are taking care of here on earth! Thanks for sharing this very important lesson on the hearth and soul hop this week! Alex

    ReplyDelete