Waste or mistakes never happen in a farm kitchen.....only future animal or plant food.

October 8, 2010

Spicy Oyster Chowder

Spicy Oyster Chowder
Diced Potatoes
Broth
Coconut Oil
Onion (optional)
Tomatoes with Green Chilis
Oysters
Gelatin
Unrefined Salt
Sugar/Cream of Tartar mix
Mushrooms (Optional)

I used a couple handfuls of potatoes, 1 small onion, what was left of some broth from the back of the fridge,  a large glop of oil, 2 cans of tomatoes (Best Choice brand doesn't use BPA lining), 2 cans of oysters, a handful of unground salt, 4 TBS of gelatin and 10 TBS of sugar with 5 tsp of cream of tartar.  I was feeling a little off so added a LOT more sugar than I usually do....my liver needed it.  There are no rules here, just use what you have on hand and what pleases your eye.


Cook potatoes in broth until tender, add onions if using.  Add all other ingredients and sweeten to taste.   Slow simmer for about 15 minutes. Chowder lends itself to leftovers as the flavors meld over time.  You can substitute clams or whatever for the oysters, but oysters are a good source of copper as their blood is copper based instead of iron based.

Fight Back Friday 
Ultimate Recipe Swap 
Heart and Soul Hop
Gluten Free Wednesdays 
The Ultimate Soup Recipe List

6 comments:

  1. yum! this sounds really good. do you use virgin coconut oil or refined? I would worry about a coconut taste with the virgin, mine seems to leave a really strong taste, but maybe it cooks out? Also, I saw a comment you'd left on another blog that you get 40 lbs. of coconut oil for $40?! Where?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I organize a group order of a pallet of oil twice a year from www.bulknaturaloilstore.com

    I use cold pressed, deodorized for most frying/cooking and virgin for baking/cosmetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chowders - I have never made one though. This sounds easy enough even for me. I didn't know you add sugar to them - interesting!! Thanks for sharing this with us at the hearth and soul hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny - I just love the way you cook! My gran used to make an oyster stew for New Year's that I've always wanted to try. Thank you for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenny, thanks so much for sharing this on the hearth and soul hop. I also love the way you cook. It's organic and eclectic! My husband would adore this soup. I was not a mollusk lover as a child, but I have been known to partake occasionally! All the best. Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete