Waste or mistakes never happen in a farm kitchen.....only future animal or plant food.

October 2, 2010

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Garlic Mashed Potatoes (with skin)

Potatoes
Butter
Coconut Oil
Garlic
Salt
Pepper

The potatoes I used were a bit "dusty", so they got a thorough scrubbing before insertion into the Cuisinart.  I chose the smallest ones so I could fit two in the slot and keep them upright...and therefore no cutting necessary.  I wasn't sure they would cook well because I just dumped them in the steamer without separating stuck together pieces.  Worked fine.  While the potatoes were cooking, I slowly melted what was left of a stick of butter with about 4 small cloves of garlic sliced about 1/8" thick.  The idea is to soak the garlic in the warm butter, not really cook it.  I find this method brings out the sweetness in the garlic.  I added the coconut oil, less than half plus some salt and pepper to the butter.  When the potatoes were done, I emptied the water from the bottom pan and poured in the butter.  I added the potatoes and mashed with a wire masher and added a lot more salt.  Fabulous!  

For a little variety, I made an indentation with my fork as for gravy and added a little apple cider vinegar.  Added a little sweet tart to it reminiscent of potato salad, but more subtle.

Since potatoes have a small amount of egg quality protein, this is a complete, balanced and inexpensive meal all by itself.

Pennywise Platter Thursday 
Frugal Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment