Waste or mistakes never happen in a farm kitchen.....only future animal or plant food.

November 13, 2010

Fresh Apple and Fruit Dip





Fruit Dip: Water, Gelatin, Cane Sugar, Cream of Tartar, Unrefined Salt, Vanilla Extract, Coconut Oil, Cream, Milk

I started out making a marshmallow creme sauce and then just started adding things. I dissolved a large eating spoon's worth of gelatin in about 1/3 cup of water, then added about 1/2-3/4 cup of sugar and about 2-3 tsp of cream of tartar with a few gratings of finely ground salt.  I melted on the next to lowest setting on my stove while stirring periodically.  I continued to cook and stir for a few minutes after the sugar was totally dissolved.

Thinking I was done, I added a dash of vanilla.  It occurred to me to sneak some coconut oil in and added a small glop of coconut oil, about 2 TBS or so.  I turned the burner off and continued stirring to aid in the cooling.  Then I thought it could use some cream to help keep the coconut oil blended in.  When it was still warm, but I could hold my hand to the side of the pan (to not cook the natural enzymes in the dairy), I stirred in some fresh cream and milk....about 4-5 gravy ladles worth.  The color comes from the unbleached sugar and the ramekin is holding a little less than half the mix.

We were a tad impatient to taste it, so started eating when it was a thick sauce consistency.  It cooled to a more custard like consistency.

Whole Foods for the Holidays
Gluten Free Wednesdays
Dip Blog Hop

No comments:

Post a Comment