Waste or mistakes never happen in a farm kitchen.....only future animal or plant food.

December 28, 2011

Pineapple Clam Chowder - GF

Enjoy this light, yet hearty meal anytime of year by changing the ratios of the ingredients.

Ingredients:
Homemade Smoked Turkey Broth
Sierra Mist (optional)
Sea Salt
Potatoes, peeled and diced
Cream of tartar
Coconut Oil
Beef gelatin
Baby Clams (with Juice)
Pineapple (with Juice)
Hot Pepper Oil (optional)


Bring about 6 cups liquid (broth, juice from clams and pineapple and soda or water as needed) to boil and add peeled, diced potatoes and salt.  I used 4-5 large russets.  Turn heat down and simmer 40 minutes.

Add as much gelatin and cream of tartar as desired. Cream of tartar = potassium.  Clams are the "whole" animal so don't need gelatin, but I always sneak in extra where I can and find the gelatin adds richness and balances the sweet/tart of the pineapple well.  I used a little over half a cup.

I added about a cup or so of Sierra Mist because it had been sitting in the fridge a while, flat.  I don't know that it necessarily added anything "special."  A little cane sugar would work just fine too. Add the clams and the pineapple at the end. Correct seasoning (add more salt, of course) and serve.
I like a dash of hot pepper oil too.

Friday Food

No comments:

Post a Comment