Waste or mistakes never happen in a farm kitchen.....only future animal or plant food.

August 9, 2011

Neufchatel - Attempt #2

  1. Again, I started with 1/2 gallon of freshly strained milk, but I let it cool down for an hour before I started.
  2. I added approximately 1/4 tablet rennet (approximate because it had gotten a little crumbly in it's container.) and stirred for a few minutes.  No gelling took place this time.
  3. I did not add clabber this time....because I forgot.  What can I say....it happens.
  4. I set the measuring bowl outside to clabber/gel on the back porch in a sunny spot (no rain today and hot and humid) with a clean dishtowel to keep out direct sun, bugs and too curious critters.
  5. I set the timer for one hour to check it.  It looks just right and there is a small pattern on a section of the top where the dish towel sunk down and made contact.  Oops.
  6. I brought it inside to drain off excess whey and cut the curds into 1 inch squares.  This releases more whey and allows for easier transfer into the butter muslin lined  colander.  I used a wide, slotted spoon for transferring.
Drip, drip, drip.....
Now I am waiting as the whey slowly drips from the curds.  I have high hopes this time!

Update: We're definitely getting there.  No squeak this time, color is whiter throughout, the texture is much softer but still firmer than cream cheese/neufchatel.  If you ever want to make imitation Silken brand tofu, this is it.  I can't believe I just said that.  LOL!

I didn't mix in salt, but added it to the bottom of the container and placed the cheese on top.  The next day, all the salt is absorbed into the cheese quite evenly, as far as I can tell.

P.S. The first attempt made a great breakfast with a side of fresh cherries.  I added a little more salt across the bottom of the storage container and the cheese seemed to absorb it well overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment