Waste or mistakes never happen in a farm kitchen.....only future animal or plant food.

November 25, 2011

Rice Cooker Mac & Cheese - GF

I was "hopping" this morning and came across this recipe: Rice Cooker Mac & Cheese

Finally a recipe that doesn't require a big production or a lot of prep time!

I adapted it to what I had on hand, but it sure was EASY...and tasty!

Ingredients: 4-6 servings
2-4 TBS Coconut Oil
2 cups Penne Rice Pasta
2 cups full fat fresh Milk
.5-1 tsp Salt (some cheeses are saltier than others)
.5 tsp Red pepper flakes
OR
Cayenne pepper
OR
Hot pepper sauce

4-8 oz white cheese (shredded in the Cuisinart)

Place all ingredients in cooker, in order (omit cheese) and press the start button.  When it's finished cooking (switched to "keep warm" setting) shred the cheese, mix into the pasta and serve.

I used the white rice setting on my cooker the first time and the porridge setting the second time.  I also put the coconut oil in first the second time around. The noodles were the same consistency, but the porridge setting left a little liquid at the bottom.  I liked the extra liquid for mixing with the cheese, but it's not a big deal if your cooker only has one setting.  I also liked that there wasn't any browning of the bottom the second time.  I suspect the oil on the bottom, but it could be the porridge setting, I suppose.

For the cheese, I used Jack with extra hot pepper sauce the first time and Jalapeno Havarti the second time. The Jack didn't have enough personality for me, the Havarti was excellent!  A good white cheddar would hit the spot as well.

Next time around, I am going to attempt putting the cheese in during the cooking....to see if I can save an additional step.

Update Nov 28th: 
Tweaked the recipe a little more...3rd times a charm.

Ingredients:
2 TBS Coconut Oil
2 cups Rice Pasta
2 cups full fat fresh Milk
.5 tsp Salt (some cheeses are saltier than others)
.5 tsp baking soda
2 TSP Cream of Tartar
1-2 TBS Mustard (I didn't measure, just scraped what was left in the container)
8 oz  Jack cheese (cubed or shredded...I just broke off small pieces)

No need to separate the cheese, just toss it all in there!  I found it easier to add the noodles last, after mixing the other ingredients together...otherwise the mustard stays clumpy.

Hunk a Meat Monday

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for getting back to me on your tweaked version! The mustard sounds yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete