Waste or mistakes never happen in a farm kitchen.....only future animal or plant food.

July 29, 2010

Purple Potatoes

We harvested our first crop of purple potatoes this week. Our seed was unused store bought potatoes that had sprouted, so I don't know what kind they are.
They were a small potato and appear to be a mid-late potato from planting to the tops dying. We planted them above ground in barn bedding and uneaten hay. I am fairly happy with the results, getting 8-10 potatoes per seed planted.
We planted whole potatoes and dipped in sulfur to avoid rotting in wet weather. In hindsight, I would have liked to have done some with dipping and some without for comparison.



They really lost their color when steamed, which was disappointing, even if expected. They are a firm potato, keeping their integrity even during the mixing process. I, personally, have never made potato salad before....so thought that would be a good experiment for these.

I did some searching online and found a mayo recipe that looked interesting and modified it. I added some additional paprika, pickle relish, salt and cream of tartar to 2 large glops of mayo and mixed with the potatoes. It tasted pretty good....if I do say so myself.
I think I'll steam the potatoes a little longer next time to see if they'd soften for a slightly smoother texture.

Purple potatoes with freshly made mayonnaise


I think it needs some green/red onions or something to spruce it up color wise...but here is the finished product!

This post is part of
Fight Back Friday.
Monday Mania 
Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
Twister Tuesday

6 comments:

  1. I made this again with Russets and added a LOT more vinegar....Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the purple potatoes! I see them occasionally at our healthfood store but haven't in some time. Would love it if you would consider sharing this post or another of your insightful blogs at Monday Mania. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents used to get purple potatoes at a local roadside stand. We discovered that they make GREAT baked potatoes, but not so good as fries or mashed. I always loved them for the shock value at school. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, they aren't very good fried...which is why they were still available for seed in the spring. ;)
    I will have to try them baked or roasted...maybe scalloped?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this at Monday Mania! I'll bet a lot of folks checking out your link had never heard of purple potatoes before! You've expanded their horizons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool, and fun! Neat to have surprise vegetables, huh? ;-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete