This makes a lasagna pan's worth of food, or 2 smaller casseroles.
4-6 lbs of potatoes, peeled and sliced.
1 onion, diced
1/2 lb cream cheese or nuefchatel
1/2 lb of queso fresco **
1/2 lb farmer's cheese
2-4 TBS prepared mustard
4 TBS coconut oil
4-6 TBS gelatin
8 TBS cane sugar
Sea Salt, a lot.....2 TBS?
Cream of tartar as needed
1 lb Sausage, bite sized
- Prep potatoes and onions and set aside
- Combine sauce/filling ingredients until smooth.
- Correct seasoning, should be slightly saltier/zestier than needed as the potatoes will neutralize some of the taste when it's all cooked together.
- Combine sauce with potatoes and onions and pour into a coconut oil greased pan/s.
- Add bite sized sausage evenly over the top.
- Cook for about an hour at 350*-375*, cover, if needed to prevent burning.
- Check for softness of middle potatoes. Adjust cooking time as needed.
- Cool for about 20 minutes and serve.
This was a big hit the first time around. It doesn't reheat well, as is. I used the leftovers as a soup by adding broth, some tomatoes and a little extra gelatin and salt. Traveled very well in my thermos. Fabulous!
**Queso fresco is ricotta-ish, without the additives usually found in commercial ricotta.
Hunk of Meat Monday
Hearth and Soul Hop