Waste or mistakes never happen in a farm kitchen.....only future animal or plant food.

January 7, 2012

Potato Muffins/Biscuits - GF



You HAVE to try these...there just too easy and delicious!

Here's the original recipe, discovered by a friend's daughter:

Potato Muffins (May 1918):
The Farmer's Wife Harvest Cookbook

4 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp sugar
1 egg, well-beaten
1 cup mashed potatoes
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk

My adaptation: Makes approximately 12 muffins
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 large leftover baked potato, skin removed
4+ TBS coconut oil
2 TBS cane sugar
2 tsp beef gelatin
2 tsp cream of tartar
2 cups rice flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt (if using coconut oil or unsalted butter)


Mix everything together in order in a mixer or food processor.  I added a few ingredient at a time and mixed a little in between.  It will look like cream cheese frosting or vanilla soft serve when it's thoroughly mixed. Grease the muffin tin generously.*  Fill each cup about 2/3 full to allow room to rise. Bake at 350 degrees F  for 25-30 minutes.  I used my toaster oven. When done, allow to cool slightly and run a knife around the side to pop them out.  I ate mine with strawberry jam.

*I used the back of a spoon to slather about a TBS of extra coconut oil in each cup, making sure to get the sides and bottoms.

These could easily be made as drop biscuits by making them free form instead...maybe with just a little tweaking.  They scream biscuits and gravy!

You could also place some protein in the center for a to-go meal:
Cheese and an apple slice
Spaghetti sauce with meat and gelatin
Scrambled egg with mushrooms
Jam with gelatin
Or  ??????

Fat Tuesday
Savory Sunday
Made From Scratch Tuesday
Hearth and Soul Hop
Totally Tasty Tuesday
Gluten Free Wednesday
What's Cooking Wednesday
Full Plate Thursday
Simple Lives Thursday




6 comments:

  1. I am a new blogger and I was awarded the Leibster award today. Part of getting the award is going out and finding 5 other blogs you love and awarding them as well. I have been reading your blog for a while and you have been doing this longer than me. But your count of followers is under 200 so I am so happy I can award this to you. I plan to put a post up today to share your blog and the 4 others I have chosen.

    Sue At
    Cakeballs, cookies and more


    http://cakeballscookiesandmore.blogspot.com/



    The Liebster Blog Award is for up and coming bloggers who have a following list of less than 200. Liebster is a German word that means favorite or dearest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious muffins, using potato sounds nice. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny,
    Your Potato Muffins look awesome. Your addition of beef gelatin looks very interesting, I am going to try your recipe, I am sure it will have great flavor. Thank you so much for sharing with our 1st Anniversary Party at Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try this recipe! Your Potato Muffins look fantastic! Thanks for sharing this recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, I could definitely see this served as biscuits and gravy. They look great.

    ReplyDelete