Waste or mistakes never happen in a farm kitchen.....only future animal or plant food.

December 26, 2010

Oink, Oink...Ossabaw Island Hogs


Picked up two Ossabaw Island barrows and a gilt today.  They are a small heritage breed...leftovers from Spanish exploration of the New World.  

You can read more abut them here: Ossabaw Island Hogs  and here:  On the trail of fine ham 



UMMMM.........Can you say "Bacon"?


 
According to my processor, they have a higher proportion of bacon to hams than conventional breeds and are NOT white meat.  They take to "no nitrate" sugar cures very well.

These will be raised in rotation on pasture/hay and extra milk.  They seem to have an affinity for  ummm, "predigested" grass AKA goat berries, so may become a valuable assets in sustainable parasite control for the goats.

I expect these to be ready late spring/early summer.
They are cuter in person...but not TOO cute, if ya know what I mean!




Hearth and Soul Hop 
Real Food Wednesday 
Simple Lives Thursday 
Pennywise Platter Thursday

5 comments:

  1. Oh, lucky you!! I would love to raise hogs - or actually, have my son raise them. Someday. Thanks for linking to the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I wish I had more sources for pastured ham where I live, because it's a big part of my Yuletide feasting. I wish you much luck in raising them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silly goose, this is exactly the type of post that we *love* to see at the Hearth and Soul hop! This is what real food is all about. We have Tamworths, which sound to have similar properties, but we always lament that pigs only have one belly. That's awesome/handy that they have already created a sustainable farm system with the goats. I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are you doing with your Ossabaws? I have a breeding pair coming next week.

    ReplyDelete