Waste or mistakes never happen in a farm kitchen.....only future animal or plant food.

February 16, 2011

Fresh eggs means Fried Eggs!

THE HENS ARE LAYING!  Woohoo! 

After a long drought and much rationing of fall eggs, we were surprised with 2 eggs one morning and 4 the next.  They have decided that the pile of hoarded baling twine is a good place to lay.  It IS real twine after all, not the orange plastic stuff.

To me, fried eggs slightly over easy is the only way to eat eggs.  Unfortunately, I live with other people, so have to compromise MUCH too often.  Deviled eggs come in a close second, but again I am the only one who thinks so.

I got up extra early this AM and made some JUST for myself.  I cut the potatoes into small matchsticks and fried them up in coconut oil first.  I did one batch, then decided I wanted more and did another batch.  I started to get hungry, so didn't let the second batch cook as long as the first...hence the two tone fries.  The eggs were then added to the pan after the fries were removed.  I like to cook them until the whites are mostly solid, then flip 'em and serve immediately.  Add a little salt and pepper and you're good to go.

I got a little impatient with my spatula and ended up serving pre broken.  Taste is fabulous and much appreciated.  Considering most of our grass and grubs have been under a thick layer of snow for a few weeks now, the eggs have amazingly good color.

Fried Eggs with Matchstick Pan Fries
Hearth and Soul Hop

4 comments:

  1. YUM! That's a killer breakfast =) The only thing that I would do is add salsa or hot sauce...and I'd be a happy girl. Thanks for sharing this w/ the hearth and soul hop this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our chickens just started laying again the other day - I hope and pray the bad weather doesn't stop the "egg love". I love my eggs just how you do - delicious! thanks for sharing with us at the hearth and soul hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are getting eggs again too. I started feed a warm mash to the girls on very cold evenings and using a light in the hen house. Mine started laying again almost immediately. We are getting between 4 and 7 daily. It is wonderful. I just made deviled eggs yesterday. I want mind a little more done than over easy. I do hash browns sometimes. Just grate the raw potato on a box grater and fry up.

    The henbit stayed green all winter so I have been pulling it and giving the girls a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. for me, fresh eggs mean poached eggs! that's the only way poached eggs won't disintegrate into a mess for me ><

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/04/perfectly-poached-eggs-on-wilted.html

    ReplyDelete