Waste or mistakes never happen in a farm kitchen.....only future animal or plant food.

August 26, 2010

Beauty, Simplicity, Sustainability........an Orchid

Another new beginning....

My mother gave this to me about 5 years ago.  The first year I think it had a single flower and fit in its pot quite nicely.  As you can see, it will have 4 blooms on one stalk this year.  What you may not see is the other buds forming on the "leaf" in the back right of the picture.  I am eagerly anticipating the continuous display.

I've never had an orchid live over a year before, much less actually rebloom.  This sits in the "dead" space behind my kitchen sink.  The window on the left faces south, the window on the right faces west.  I have heavy duty, cream colored duette (double hexagon) shades on both windows which help reduce the sun in the summer and slow the cold air flow in the winter.  We open the windows when we can, but this summer has been a marathon of continuous hot and humid weather.  I water when I remember...usually when I see wrinkled leaves. I mist in the winter, but rarely water, with my little old fashioned brass mister.  It gives a very fine spray.  I leave dirty dishes in my sink for too long too often.  (That must be the secret, yes?)  I did purchase some fertilizer one year after I realized it wasn't going to die on me. It's still sitting in the basement in the bag it came in.  Now, I'm afraid to use it for fear of messing it up.  I think it's happy, what do you think?

Sept 5th 2010

UPDATE:  Here it is, one stalk in full bloom...glorious!

















Final update Oct 14th 2010:  The flowers have finally past their peak and are being removed. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I too have had terrible luck with orchids. I need to find an orchid that loves dirty dishes :) Thanks for contributing to Simple Lives Thursday!

    ReplyDelete